Hello friends and welcome to all of you once again on your own website. Today I am going to tell you How to share current location in Google Maps with Plus Codes. Google Maps includes a little-known feature called “Plus Codes” that allows you to share your exact location with someone. And it recently started to roll out an easier way to share exactly where you are using those codes on Android. You can also do it on iPhone, although it’s a little more complex.
Plus Codes are digital addresses, like Google’s own interpretation of latitude and longitude coordinates, just shorter form. They serve a different function than the “Share Location” feature in Google Maps, which follows you as you move. Plus Codes are more about sharing a static, specific location on a map that someone can find from any computer at any time.
If you see a six-digit code, you also have to share the city or region it’s in. For example, “HCPV+Q9 Greater Noida” will show you the Nirala State Building.
Normally, if you’re in a city, you might just share your current address or a nearby point of interest (POI). But, e.g. if you’re in a specific place inside a Connaught Place, you may want to share your Plus Code so someone can easily find you. Or maybe you’re out on a hike and want to share your campsite location, or the location of a car. You can do that with a Plus Code before you begin hiking.
The feature is rolling out now, so you may not see it yet, but I noticed it on my Android phone. If you don’t see it, keep checking back over the coming weeks as it rolls out.
How to share your particular location in Google Maps from Android
- Open Google Maps on your Android phone.
- Tap the blue dot representing where you are.
- Google will show you the Plus Code for where you’re standing toward the top of the screen.
- Send that code to a friend or family member.
- You can tap the “Share location” button, too, but keep in mind that’ll show your friends your location as you continue to move. If you’re giving someone the location of a campsite or a parked car, just share the Plus Code.